So if I write down everything my teacher says and publish it, I get to be the author?
Is knowledge perception?
- Theaterus’ claim
- Protagorus’ doctrine that man is the measure of all things
- Heraclitus’ theory of flux
—> supports Platonic doctrine that true reality is a non sensible realm of changeless being “The Forms”
Critique of three theses
- each man is the measure of his own wisdom
- everyone is equally wise
- there is no such thing as wisdom
- no one is wiser than anyone else
- Development of ideas
- Maturity of ideas
- Metaphysical Truth
This work represents potential & intelligence
Recent scholarship questions whether The Theatetus is an intentionally deceptive dialogue —-> Socrates is less consistent & this may be intentional for reader to be engaged in the challenge
Plato does not allow for perceptions because they are sensory dependent
Theory of Recollection – you already had all the knowledge & it got scattered at birth.